Zizira Long Pepper -500 g
- Brand: Zizira
- Product Code: ZLP
- Availability: In Stock
Zizira Dried Piper Longum is sourced from the southern slopes of the pristine hills of Meghalaya.
Farmers here use traditional methods of cultivation and spikes of dried Piper longum are handpicked. It is harvested at maturity when it turns dark green in colour and dried in the sun before storage.
Piper longum is a popular spice of Meghalaya. It is known as “Pippali” in Sanskrit and in our local language khasi, it is known as “Sohmarit khlaw”.
It is referred to as long pepper as the fruits are long and slender and look a little like dried green chillies as the spikes on its surface looks like a rough-skinned version of chilli peppers.
This product is not only a native of Meghalaya, but it is also a solid insurance policy for the farmers of Meghalaya.
Our Long pepper is sourced directly from Pynursla, Meghalaya and it has a bitter, spicy and warming taste which is perhaps due to the presence of volatile content such as piplatine, piperlonguminine, piperine and other unique chemical components.
These phytoconstituents are responsible for producing distinctive aroma, flavour and health benefits.
Note: This product is brought to you from the farms, unprocessed and in its purest form.
What Is the Shelf-life of Long Pepper?
Our Long pepper can last for twelve months if it is properly stored. It does not get spoilt, but it will start to lose its potency with time and will not flavour or show its benefits as intended.
How to Store Long Pepper?
Here are a few simple steps to follow in order to keep your Long pepper fresh for a longer duration.
- Store it in an airtight container and remember to close the lid of the container tightly as soon as you finish using it.
- Before storing the spikes in airtight containers, make sure the spikes, as well as the bottle, is thoroughly dried because the presence of moisture will cause the seeds to develop molds.
- Coloured bottles are a better option to store the spikes as it protects it from direct sunlight. If you are using clear bottles, remember to store it in closed cabinets or wall racks which do not receive direct sunlight.
- Store it away from stoves, ovens, windows and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the spikes to lose its strength and volatile content.
Long pepper was once widely used in cooking, even in ancient Rome, to induce a pungent taste to various dishes.
There seems to be a renewed interest in this spice for its unique flavour and taste. The taste lingers in the tongue. While black pepper stings, long pepper soothes. The spikes of long pepper are ground or broken into coarse pieces and added to soups, stews, roasts, and curries.
It imparts complex mix of flavours like the earthiness of nutmeg, sweet note of cardamom and cinnamon, the spiciness of chillies, the heat of black pepper and a slight tongue-numbing taste, somewhat like that of winged prickly ash
Its bitter, spicy, and warming taste is perhaps due to its volatile, fragrant oils and alkaloids like piplatine, sesenine and pipla-sterol.
In northeast India it is also used to spice up pickles and preserves, giving them a distinctive aroma and flavour.
Why This Product
Over the years, we have developed good relationships with ethical farmers who provide us with pure and great quality products.
Our team travels to the most isolated and remote villages to source the best ingredients.
The extra mile
- Knowing where our ingredients come from- We deeply care about where each and every ingredient we use comes from. Over the years our team has been able to build up relations with the ethical farmers of Meghalaya and what is important is that we give importance to providing pure and safe products to our customers.
- Evaluation of ingredients- To provide our customers with the best products, we make sure to select the absolute best ingredients with maximum quality. Both our team and our farmer partners share the same mission and we prioritize on the long-term health of the land. The land is free from all unwanted artificial additives such as pesticides, chemical fertilizers and insecticides resulting in safe and pure ingredients.
- Product safety- In the processing of food, we are aware of hazards that can creep in. We do not take chances with any kind of hazard – physical, chemical or biological. We take every necessary precaution to control them at every critical point in our food processing facility. That is what we are doing with every new harvest of each and every ingredient that we use.
- Credible, Safe and Wholesome- We follow a similar process for all of Zizira's products. Credible, high standard quality maintenance without excuses. We understand that the choices we make and who we work with, partner with, what and how we serve can make a difference. We believe that our continued effort and diligent work will contribute to the health of our customers, to the prosperity of the farmers as they revive and regenerate traditional farming practices.